Thursday, February 5, 2009

Yah Man. Nah Problems Man.

After arriving at my hotel in Montego Bay I slept for about 15hrs straight. The plan was to relax in the beautiful surrounding and lie on the beach. Of course nothing ever happens as you plan it...

It was my first time at an all inclusive place and so a new experience. The hotel itself was only a few months old and my room and the facilities were top notch, You really did not need to leave the hotel unless you wanted of course to visit some other beaches or Bob Marley's home.

I found the Jamaicans for the most part very welcoming. There are a few rude staff members and I've seen similar comments posted around but at my particular hotel they have a group dedicated to arranging activities and games for the guests. They were truly excellent and made a real effort to make you have fun whilst having lots of fun themselves. Even after hours a few of the staff came to clubs in the center of town with me.

I took advantage of the some the activities like sailing, beach volleyball and ping-pong. Of course you have great food on offer throughout the day at the all you can eat buffets. You can drink as much or as little as you want including cocktails on all the best top self liquor. There are also several restaurants open in the evening for you to try. My hotel was part of a chain of hotels called Iberostar. They had a slightly cheaper sister hotel next to mine which was also free for you to use the facilities of that hotel although those guests could not venture into our hotel. There is a nightclub at the back of my hotel which kicks off about 11pm after the various entertainment shows in the theatre. My hotel was actually very quiet with not many guests which is good and bad. The bad is that you end up drinking a lot on your own but the good is that you are waited on hand and foot and never have to go to the pool early to reserve your spot.

As the week progressed I did start to meet some people and get to know the staff a little better. From the Thursday night until the Monday I went out pretty much every night until 4am. I had 3 nights where I went to a few places in the center of town. The dancehall reggae moves are a little bit like getting a lap dance for free. Interesting to witness and partake although a little degrading for women me thinks. Because of the late nights I never took any of the tours around Jamaica itself but to be honest the landscape is similar to many other islands I have visited and I just didn't feel like checking out more beaches or waterfalls. Of course the hotel doesn't want you to leave either and you are frequently warned how dangerous Jamaica can be to wander around on your own esp. at night.

So did I feel relaxed and chilled after Jamaica? Absolutely not. I was even more tired than before I arrived. Next stop, New Orleans!

No comments: