Monday, February 16, 2009

San Diego

I added San Diego as part of my itinerary after a met a fun guy in a club in Vegas. He gave me his number and said it was worth checking out the area and he could catch up and take me out.
Unfortunately the week I arrived he was on call at his hospital so he couldn't meet up. Instead he sent me a list of places worth checking out.

I stayed in a hotel right on Pacific Beach. This was a nice area with more of a college crowd. I spent a few days checking out the area and went to Sea World and the Aircraft Carrier Museum. I also went out on my own a few nights but I always find it a little difficult breaking the ice with new people.
Instead I thought I would try something different and joined the couch surfing community. If you're not familiar with it check out couchsurfing.com

I posted a message on the San Diego forum asking if anyone was up for going out on the Friday and Saturday night. This proved fairly lucrative. On the Friday a guy, Taylor, contacted me and met me in bar downtown and then on Saturday a single mum, Lori (mother of two), contacted me and arranged to go out to a local town (35mins away) where her friend, Christine, was living. She had also invited another 2 guys. One was a German, Marco, and he was couch surfing around the States and was currently staying with his host, Ben. We all arrived at the small town on Sat night and had a home cooked meal and then began drinking a few vodkas. By the time we headed out at 10pm the girls were pretty drunk. It all ended after two local bars at 12pm when one of the girls basically was too drunk to be let in anywhere. All in all an interesting experience and I ended up having my first night on a couch. My last day was spent watching the Superbowl in my hotel and then checking out a club with Ben and Marco in the evening.

San Diego is certainly a nice place to live but maybe a little quieter than most of the other big US cities mainly due to being so spread out. Still it was worth checking out and this town gets some of the best yearly weather in the States.

No comments: